What is Youtube and why do I need it?
Youtube is the 2nd biggest search engine in the world. Users upload and make available for the public their videos for viewing. Anyone who goes to the site can view the videos that are posted on this site. The videos are anything from beginner videos to more professional videos. You can put just about anything you want on the YouTube site. You can also watch just about anything on YouTube. There are some great videos out there on YouTube that are very interesting and entertaining and will never be seen anywhere else. However, there are also some very dubious and mindless videos.
Youtube has the biggest source of tutorial videos available online. Whatever it is you want to learn or know about, someone will have made a video about it.
Sign up to Youtube and get your own channel
With just a Google Account, you can watch, like, and subscribe. Without a YouTube channel, you won't have any public presence on YouTube. If you want to upload videos, leave comments, or make playlists, you can create a public YouTube channel on your computer or mobile browser.
What can you do on your channel?
- Store and share videos you’ve created for others to view. Your channel can feature home videos, entertaining videos, or videos that you’ve created about your interests. Some YouTube Channel owners choose to make and upload a vlog or video diary to share recent events in their lives.
- Share your opinions and thoughts with the YouTube Community. You’ll have the freedom to write comments about videos, respond to other users, and indicate which videos are your favorites.
- Create playlists. As you find videos that you like on YouTube, you may decide to put them in a collection, or a playlist, of videos that your channel can display. Other users can visit your channel to see which videos you’ve collected. Many channels feature playlists of videos that interest the owner like music, sports, pets, or videos related to their hobbies.
- Express yourself. Some members choose to decorate their channel with wallpaper or graphics to show the community who they are or what the purpose of their channel is. A well-decorated channel can be exciting for viewers to see.
How to download Youtube Video
Apart from purchasing software you may find on the internet, the best way is to use the site keepvid.com to download Youtube video as .mp4 files to your hard drive. This is the reason you need a computer as well as an iPad. The computer can manage the file storage and can have iTunes installed to manage the actual media.
Keepvid.com and many other online sites require Java to be installed on your system. This can be problematic on some systems like MACs which actively block Java.
This video shows you how you can download a youtube video without installing any software or the use of Java. You can also install an extension if you are using Chrome or Firefox, which makes the process even simpler.
Create your own Youtube Channel
What do I need to access Youtube?
You need a Google account like a Gmail account. There is a link to Youtube from your Gmail account.
You can click that link or go directly there. youtube.com
Sign in to Youtube
When you go to youtube.com in your browser, you are not signed in. Any videos you search for can be viewed but you will be unable to add videos as favourites, or watch later, make a comment, subscribe to a channel etc.
Personalise your Youtube Viewing Experience
This is the default Youtube page for someone who is NOT signed in. Youtube will provide some generalised channel recommendations for you which may not suit your interests. If you sign in and create your own Youtube channel, you can personalise the videos to suit your interests,
Sign in - Create your own channel
From Youtube.com , click the Sign In button. Enter your Gmail and password, and then Sign In.
Analysing your Youtube Homepage
1. Current uploads by the channels you have subscribed to. This is a good way of keeping up to date with new content produced by the sites you are interested in. For example, if you want to keep informed about new videos on how to use the ipad, and ipad apps, you could subscribe to my channel: youtube.com\user\micheleberner.
2. View the recommended channels. click on one to see the types of video the channel uploads. You can subscribe to the channel and all new uploads will then appear in your Youtube homepage feed.
3. Click: +Add a Channel. Browse and subscribe.
4. My subscriptions. Here you can edit your subscriptions. Click: My subscriptions and then click: Manage subscriptions to delete channels or change how you want to be notified about new content on one of your subscribed channels.
Watch later. This is a running list of any video you saved for viewing at a later time. Click on the Watch Later icon on any video at the bottom of the video player when you are viewing a video and that video will be automatically be added to your Watch Later list.
Amending your default Youtube homepage
Modify your youtube homepage feed by subscribing to channels, deleting channels you are not interested in like Gaming and Sports.
Each time you go to youtube.com in your browser and you are signed into your google account, you will see video recommendations based on your interests.
Click Get started.
Search for a Channel and subscribe
1. Browse through the list and subscribe. Look particularly at the themed channels accordin g to your interests. Eg; if you want to follow a TV program, look at the From TV suggestions.
2. Search for a channel. Click here if you know the name of a channel or a topic. For example you could search for channels on the ipad.
Another way of subscribing to a channel
1. From the youtube player, you can subscribe directly to the channel. Just click the subscribe button.
2. The number of current subscribers to that channel.
3. To see other videos from this channel, click the link indicating the number of videos.
Once you subscribe, you can go to Manage Subscriptions
Select the channel and select either or both options: email with new uploads and / or Show only uploads in feed.
Adding a video as a Favourite and Watch Later
When you are watching a video, and you are signed in to your Youtube account, click Add to and select Favourites or Watch Later.
If this is the first time, you need to decide whether to make your Favourites public or private.
How to find your Favourites and Watch List
1. Click the down arrow next to your account picture.
2. Open your channel settings.
3. You have a running list of your Favourites, Watch Later, your Likes and History.
What else can you do when you watch a video?
1. Like or dislike a video.
2. Leave a comment.
3. Obtain a transcript - if one has been uploaded. The automatic transcripts are often inaccurate.
4. Share this video to Facebook, Twittter or Google+, or email a link to the video
Create a playlist
Create a playlist - which is like a folder of similar videos. For example, create a playlist for all videos you find on how to use the ipad