Notability - typing notes
Other resources that may help you to learn Notability 4.
Youtube videos: How to use Notability 4.
Create a new note
Select the appropriate Subject folder where you want the note to be created.
In this example, the note will be created in the Sharing Files Subject iwtihn the iPad Advanced Category.
Tap: Create New Note
Note Toolbar Options
1. Curent note title. The default is always the current date. Tap to change the title.
2. Current folder in which the note is stored.
3. Current date and time the note was created. Useful if you want to search for notes by Date Created.
4. Tap to start audio recording a note. Download some instructions for audio recording notes in Notability.
5. Tap for the wristguard. This stops you from accidentally writing a note or making some marks with your wrist.
6. Brings up the handrwiting box. This allows you to write notes with your finger or stylus more precisely.
Creating a typed note
Select the T.
1. Click here to delete the default title. Enter your own title for the note.
2. The folder in which the note will be created.
3. Tap to change the date.
Font and Style Options
1. You can setup font, colour, size and style favourites. There are three choices: A, B, C. Tap and hold C, for example, and select the options you want.
2. You can also change font, colour, size and style as you go. Tap and make a choice.
3. Indent text.
4. List: dot point and numbered lists. Spacing - double spacing.
Tap the T button on the top toolbar.
1. Tap here for lists and spacing: dot points, numbered lists double spacing.Tap to select the list, tap again to deselect it.
2. The A, B, C buttons are for font, colour, size, style presets. In this example, the font is Chalkduster, red, size 20. You can have 3 presets.
3. Indent ing text.
4. You can also just tap the font, size, colour, style and pick anything on the fly.
Correcting / editing the text
Tap and hold to Highlight any text, select it and you get the following options:
Learn / Unlearn will add a word to the Dictionary if Notability believes it is spelt incorrectly. In this case, the app needs to unlearn the word: tiped. Tapping Replace will offer you alternative spelling and you can select the correct word - if there is one. If not, use the backspace X to correct it yourself.
To change the colour of text, do the same thing. Tap to hold the text, select what you want to change and tap the colour on the editing toolbar to change it.
Adding media to your notes
Tap the X in the toolbar to bring up the Media options.
1. Select a photo from your Photos app - the camera roll or albums
2. Photo. This will allow you to take a photo with the iPad's camera and insert it into the note.
3. Figure. Insert a shape like a square, circle, line. you can change the size, colour, fill it. Experiment!!!!!
4. Web clip. Insert a web page into the note.
5. Stickies. Like a text box. you can insert a box to handwrite in or a box that you can type in. These stickies can also be filled with a different colour. Tap the sticky to select it, then tap the wrench in the toolbar and select Paper.
1. Tapping the + and selecting Photo. This image is a photo from one of my albums in the camera roll. Once you select the photo, it will be dropped onto the note.
2. It has selection / resizing blue dots so can enlarge or decrease the size of the photo. Tap and hold the photo to move it around the notes or to a different page.
The editing options appear at the top of the photo. Selecting Edit will take you into an editor where you can annotate the photo or crop it. Tap the photo to add a caption.
You can combine typed and handwritten notes. Eg; if you want to draw a border around the photo, select the Pencil tool - change the colour, size and draw a border. See below.
**All of these instructions will also work if you select the Take A Photo option.
To erase the border, use the Eraser tool on the toolbar.
1. Tap the + and select Stickies. Stickies are like Text boxes. You can add one in which you handwrite. eg; the Lined sticky or a typing sticky. Both stickies have the same editing options. For example, tap Paper and fill the sticky with different paper.
The typing sticky is for typing your notes inside the sticky.
Find, search, filter, organise, bookmark
Tapping the books in the top right corner will open mutli page view. Here you can see all the pages of your note. In this example, there are three pages in this note and we are viewing page 2.
1. To bookmark a page, tap the bookmark. Tapping the bookmark at the top will filter only those pages that have bookmarks.
2. The magnifying glass - Search for a word or phrase in your notes.
3. View all pages.
Sharing your notes
Back up your notes by sharing them to a Cloud Service - Dropbox, Box, Google Drive.
These are all the sharing options.