Syncing your photos and videos using iTunes can be time consuming with too many steps in actually retrieving them. For example, a video taken with the iPad camera or downloaded from Youtube will end up in iPhoto after syncing with iTunes. However, there is a more simple way of moving photos and videos.
PhotoTransfer App - iPad to Apple computer
This tutorial demonstrates how to send and receive photos and videos wirelessly using the app: Photo Transfer. For this to work, both the source device (the iPad) and the receiving device (an Apple computer) must be on the same wireless network.
Send or Receive - Options
You can send and receive photos from the following devices: Windows computer, Apple computer, Another device (a phone, for example), and now it offers Cloud services: Dropbox, Google Drive and Flickr.
1. You will need to know the identity (IP address and port) of the devices you are transferring between. Tap the button. One of the IP addresses is for transferring to a computer, the other gives your iPad's identity. The latter is used when you are transferring photos / videos from a computer to the iPad.
Send Photos and Videos
Tap the Send Photos and Videos button.
This tutorial will demonstrate sending photos from an iPad to an Apple computer - but the principles are the same for other devices. So select your device.
Make the connection on the receiving device (computer)
You can connect to the receiving device in two ways.
1. Download the desktop app - it's free
2. Use your computer's browser. eg Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari
As it's wireless, the computer's browser is the easy choice. Tap Start Here.
Using the computer's browser to send photos wirelessly from the iPad - Connect to the Receiving Device
1. Open the computer's browser and enter the web address provided on the screen.
2. You could also just enter the IP address.
Entering the IP address into Safari on the MAC
The Desktop app - Options
Select your option: either DOWNLOAD from your iPad to your computer or UPLOAD from your computer to the iPad.
Select the the photos to be transferred on the Source Device - the iPad
Tap the Select Photos and Videos button. This will open up your Photos app where you can navigate to either an album or use the Camera roll. In this example, the Camera roll has been selected. For video taken on the iPad, it will also be located in the Camera Roll
Select any photos you wish to transfer by tapping on the photo. For all photos, tap the: Select All button. Then tap: Done.
**Each time you make a new transfer, remember to clear the photos previously selected.
The Receiving Device - Apple computer
When you select photos on the source device (the iPad), the receiving device (the computer) needs to be refreshed to recognise that there are now photos that need to be transferred. So click Refresh.
Refresh the computer
1. After refreshing the computer, it has now detected that there are 4 photos ready to be transferred from the source (iPad) to the destination (computer).
2. If you click on any of the photos, you can see the photo fullscreen.
3. The photos will be downloaded as a zip file. You need to select: Full Resolution or Medium Resolution.To rename the zip file and select where you want the file to be downloaded, right-click on the link. (See next step)
Downloading the Transferrred Photos
In this example, the photos will be downloaded as a zip file in Full Resolution. Right-click on Full Resolution and select: Download Linked File As.. (This will depend on your computer. It might be: Save Target As...).
Select the location of the Zip file
Click Save whn you are ready to download.
The Download message on the iPad
Locate the zipped file on your computer's hard drive and unzip it.
Unzipping the folder
On a MAC, you double-click the zippted file to unzip it. You'll then need to rename and move the photos depending onyour system.
Upload from the computer to your iPad
This is the other end of the process. You can copy photos to your iPad from your computer when connected to iTunes and syncing them.
However, you could also directly transfer them using Photo Transfer.
1. Select where you want to place the photos. The Camera roll is the default location. Clicking that will allow you to select an existing album.
2. to create a new album on your iPad, enter a name for the album and then click 3. Create Album.
4. Select the photos and videos you wish to upload from your computer. Note there are two buttons - one for photos and one for videos.
Check your iPad to see the photos transferred.