Keyboard enhancements in iOS 9
The keyboard can quickly turn into a trackpad for quickly navigating and editing text, and constantly offers tool shortcuts just above the keys for simply editing. Depending on the application you are using, you will find different editing tools on your keyboard.
As you use the new keyboard throughout various apps, you'll notice just above the top row on either side of the QuickType suggestions are shortcut keys. The keys present will vary from app to app, but the gist is the same: these keys provide valuable shortcuts to commands such as copy, paste, undo and text formatting. Get in the habit of using then instead of long-pressing on the screen, highlighting the text, then navigating through the pop-up menu.
The keyboard in the Notes App
To see these enhancements, remember, you need to be using iOS 9. The Notes app has had a facelift in iOS 9 and you can add images, create checklists, do styling of your text and sketch and draw. All of this is available in the keyboard.
1. Tap this button to open a small menu where you can go back a command or repeat a command and paste whatever is in the clipboard.
2. This button will create a checklist.
3. Styles your text. You can select a bulleted, numbered or dashed list, and different styles for headings, titles and the body.
4. Predictive text. As you type, it will predict what word it thinks you want and you can select the word to make your typing input quicker. You need to have turned on Predictive text in Settings / General / Keyboard - Turn on Predictive. If you can't see this predictive text on your keyboard, slide open the tray. Just above the letter 'Y', you'll see a horizontal line.. Drag it upwards to open the predictive text tray.
5. Add a photo from the camera or your Camera Roll to your note.
6. Sketch or draw on your note.
The keyboard in the Mail App
1. Back a command or repeat a command.
2. Paste whatever is in the clipboard.
3. Predictive text. As you type, it will predict what word it thinks you want and you can select the word to make your typing input quicker. You need to have turned on Predictive text in Settings / General / Keyboard - Turn on Predictive. If you can't see this predictive text on your keyboard, slide open the tray. Just above the letter 'Y', you'll see a horizontal line.. Drag it upwards to open the predictive text tray.
4. Styling commands for your mail message. Bold / Italic / Underline. Tap the button to select which one you want to use.
5. Add an image to your message fro your Photos app - not directly from the camera.
6. Add an attachment to your message. This can be any type of attachment.
Turn your keyboard into a trackpad
When typing with the keyboard, you can convert it to a trackpad by placing two fingers on the screen anywhere inside the keyboard. The keys will turn dark gray, losing all letters and numbers. You can move the cursor by dragging both fingers across the screen, lifting your fingers when the cursor has reached its destination.
You can use the same setup to highlight large blocks of text. Quickly double-tap with two fingers the word you want to start with (leaving both on the screen on the second tap). The nearest text word or character will become highlighted, with more text becoming highlighted as you drag your fingers across. The trackpad functionality is easy to use as long as you remember one thing: spread your fingers apart just a little bit
- Select text: Place two fingers on the keyboard and hold them in place until the cursor pulses. Move your fingers to select text adjacent to the cursor. To remove the selection, lift your fingers and then tap the screen in the text-input area.
- Select a word: Place the cursor inside the word, and then two-finger tap on the keyboard.
- Select a line: Place the cursor on the line, and then two-finger double-tap on the keyboard.