Instead of sharing your photo slideshows using old technology - emailing it, burning your photos to a DVD or saving it on a USB drive, why not upload your photos to Youtube? Create a slideshow, add some music, transitions, video effects and publish it to Youtube as a video. You can then share the link to your slideshow to your friends or family - privately if you wish.
You need a Youtube channel to upload your photos but this is free. If you have a Google account, you also have access to Youtube. If you don't have a Google account, sign up for one before continuing with this tutorial. Download tutorial as a pdf.
Tutorial: Create slideshows on Youtube
How to create a slideshow and post it to Youtube
Create or Sign in to your Youtube account
Create a Photo Slideshow in YouTube
Want to share your photos? Youtube provides a free way of creating a slideshow from your photos, add some music and publish it as a video. Send the link of your video to whoever you want. You can set the privacy to Unlisted if you would not like the video to appear in YouTube search so your video is essentially private unless you provide the link to it.
Sign into your Youtube account or create an account if necessary. The next few steps are for those who are creating a new Youtube account.
Create a new Youtube channel
Once you have signed up, create a new Youtube channel.
Rename your channel
Click the drop down arrow and select Youtube Settings.
Create a customised address for your channel
Your default channel name is difficult to remember so create a customised URL so you can identify more easily your Youtube channel. Click Create customised URL.
Enter a name for your channel. If the name is not available, you can amend it. Then Click: Create Channel URL.
All Users: Open your Youtube channel page
1. Click the drop down arrow next to your identity.
2. Select My Channel.
3. Your channel address. Type this address into any web browser. You can complete your Youtube channel by subscribing to other channels, adding channel art, derscribing your channel.
4. Click Upload to upload some photos.
Upload some photos for your slideshow
Select: Photo Slideshow. Click Create.
Select some photos to upload
Select: Upload Photos to load photos from your computer
Name your Album. Select or drag photos from your computer. Click Submit when ready to proceed.
To rearrange the photos you uploaded, click and hold on a photo and move it to a new location. If you want to add more photos, click: Add more photos. Click Next to proceed.
Edit your Settings
1. Select the slide duration 2. Slide effect and 3. Transition for the slideshow.
4. Select an audio track if you want music. You cannot add your own music. It must be one of those tracks. If you don't want any audio, click No Audio.
5. You can preview the slideshow by selecting the Play button. This also tells you how long the slideshow is. Add more photos or make the slide duration longer if you want the slideshow to fit the music track.
6. Click: Upload when you ready to proceed. This will publish your slideshow to Youtube.
Publish the slideshow
1. Rename your slideshow.
2. Choose your privacy settings. If you don't want your slideshow to be listed in any Youtube search, select: Unlisted. Anyone who has the link can view it. Perfect for sharing with friends or family. Public means your slideshow can be located and viewed by anyone searching on the internet. Private means only people who you choose can view it. You need to put in email addresses of those who will have access.
3. Enter a description of the slideshow.
4. Tags. Makes the slideshow easier to locate when searching. This feature would be useful if the slideshow was made public.
5. You will be offered a choice of thumbnails to identify the slideshow. Click to select the preferred one.
6. Remember to save your changes.
Sharing your slideshow
1. Click the drop-down arrow and select: My Channel.
Open the slideshow.
You can share your slideshow by email or post it to social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+ etc. Click Share to open the sharing options.
1. Click Share this video to post it to Facebook (or any of the other social networks highlighted), click the relevant icon.
2. To email the link, click Email.
Complete the email details and send. Only the person you send the link to in the email will be able to view your slideshow. If you selected Unlisted or Private earlier, your slideshow cannot be searched for on Youtube.