This Course is free to U3A Members
Become an iPad Power User
How to Enrol in the course
This course is available from udemy.com which is an online learning website. It has paid courses on a variety of subjects. For U3A members, the iPad Quick Start Guide is free (It normally sells for $79). Click the link below which will provide you with a free coupon to enrol in the course.
- Understand the difference between a pre-installed app and a Third-Party app.
- Download a wide variety of essential apps for information, education, entertainment and productivity.
- Search the App Store to replace a pre-installed app for a Third-Party app that is more beneficial in terms of features and functions.
- Use App search and discovery engines to locate more functional Third-Party apps.
- Save time and effort by learning how to organise your iPad using folders, bookmarks, web icons and hiding apps you don't use.
- Understand the purpose of each pre-installed app in order to make more informed decisions about whether to use it or replace it with an alternative app
- Learn how to setup each pre-installed app by adjusting the settings to personalise it.
- Increase your understanding and knowledge of what apps are available by learning how to search the App Store and the iTunes Store.
Section 1: Introduction
Learn about the possibilities of each pre-installed app and how to use this course
- Lecture1: Welcome to the course (WATCH FIRST)
- Lecture2: An overview of the course content - What are you going to learn?
- Lecture3: How to play the Videos and turn on Closed Captions
- Lecture4: Extra Resources and Video Descriptions
- Lecture5: Join the Facebook iPad Tips, Tricks and Tutorials Community Page
- Quiz1: Before you start ... How much do you know about your iPad
- Lecture6: Unveiling your iPad's power: What Apps come pre-installed on your iPad?
Section2:Your iPad as an Organizer
Understand how the pre-installed apps can make you more productive and efficient.
- Lecture7: Sifting through Contacts: How to add, view, search, share and delete Contacts
- Lecture8: Don't let your calendar push you around: Add & edit Events in the Calendar App
- Lecture9: Punching the clock: Explore the features of the Clock App
- Lecture10: Remembering Events with the Reminders App
- Lecture11: Customizing the Notifications Center
- Lecture12:Get organised. How to move icons and use Folders on the iPad
- Lecture13: How to hide the pre-installed Apps
- Quiz2: How well can you organize the Apps on your iPad?
Section3:Your iPad for communication
Understand the range of communication methods available with pre-installed apps.
- Quiz3: How well do you know the Mail app?
- Lecture14: See me. Read me. File me. Delete me. Working with the iPad's Mail App
- Lecture15: iPad Cheat sheet: Settings for Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Lecture16: Attach photos and videos using the Mail app
- Lecture17: Getting the iMessage. How to use iMessage on the iPad
- Lecture18: Seeing is believing with FaceTime
- Lecture19: Take your iPad siri-ously: How to Use Siri on your iPad
Section4: Your iPad for Information and Education
Search for, learn and locate information using pre-installed apps.
- Quiz4: How well do you know Safari?
- Lecture20: Let's go on a mobile Safari. Explore the features of Safari iOS 8
- Lecture21: Making Notes using the Notes app
- Lecture22: Maps are where it's at: Getting to know the Maps app
- Lecture23: Learning and education with the iTunes U app
- Lecture24: Lost or stolen iPad? Find my iPhone / iPad will track it down
- Lecture25: How to use Spotlight Search
Section5:Your iPad as a multimedia powerhouse
Use pre-installed apps to experience music, video, photos, podcasts, books and magazines.
- Lecture26: Shopping with the iPad's App Store app
- Lecture27: How to use the iTunes Store on the iPad
- Lecture28: iPad Videography: Play Movies and TV Shows using the Videos app
- Lecture29: Curl up with a good iBook: How to Read and organize books and pdfs using iBooks
- Lecture30 :Purchase and read magazines and newspapers with Newsstand
- Lecture31: The Podcasts App: Listen to or watch media on any topic
- Lecture32: How to take videos and photos with the Camera app
- Lecture33: The Photos App: Tracking down your pictures
- Lecture34: The Photos App: Editing Tools to enhance your pictures
- Lecture35: The Photos App: Admiring your pictures
- Lecture36: Take control of your tunes: How to use the Music App
Section6: App-solutely! The iPad as a platform for third-party apps
Learn about Third-Party apps as alternatives to pre-installed apps
- Lecture37: Introduction: What are Third Party Apps?
- Lecture38: Alternative apps for the Calendar App
- Lecture39: Alternative apps for the Camera App
- Lecture40: Alternative apps for the Contacts app
- Lecture41: Alternative apps for iBooks
- Lecture42: Alternative apps for the Mail app
- Lecture43: Alternative apps for the Maps app
- Lecture44: Alternative apps for the Messages app
- Lecture45: Alternative apps for the Music app
- Lecture46: Alternatives for the Notes app
- Lecture47: Alternative apps for the Photos app
- Lecture48: Alternative apps for the Reminders app
- Lecture49: Alternative apps for Safari
- Lecture50: Alternative apps for the Siri App
- Lecture51: Alternative apps for the Videos app
Section7:Discover New Apps
How to use app search engines to find third-party apps for your iPad
- Lecture52: How to discover App bargains using AppShopper
- Lecture53: How to find apps using Appcrawlr